Questions about treatment?
  • Access to licensed treatment centers
  • Information on treatment plans
  • Financial assistance options
We're available 24/7
Solutions Recovery - help information

What are Mushrooms?

The most commonly used mushrooms are non-poisonous but they do contain varying amounts of the consciousness altering substances psilocybin and psilocin. When eaten or drank in a tea they combine readily with the brain to produce a powerful psychedelic trip, shorter lived but similar to a mild dose of acid. And as with LSD the effects vary greatly depending on the mood, situation and expectations of the user.


Mushrooms are not physically addictive. Someone may turn to them repeatedly to escape from their everyday life though. A user may start by taking a small dose and then repeat the process if they don’t feel the effects of the mushrooms within a short time.


They look much the same as any other mushroom. Most commonly they appear small and tan or brownish in color, however, there are over 90 species of psychedelic mushrooms world wide.

Street Names:

magics, mushies, shrooms, or liberty caps

Routes of Administration

Mushrooms can be eaten raw or dried and made into a tea

Short – Term Effects

  • nausea
  • sickness
  • stomach pain
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • paranoia

Long – Term Effects

Ingesting mushroom can give flashbacks that recreate a trip after it has ended. Being tired or stressed out can trigger a flashback. Difficulty concentrating and memory loss may also occur.

Does your insurance cover treatment at Desert Hope in Las Vegas?

Check your insurance coverage or text us your questions to learn more about treatment by American Addiction Centers (AAC).