Does Blue Shield of California covers Alcohol and Drug rehab centers in California?
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
Struggling with substance use can be lonely and overwhelming, and it’s hard to know where to turn. You’ve heard that there are treatment programs that can help you break free, but how do you find a good one—and how do you afford it?
If you have Blue Shield California insurance coverage, your health insurance can help you pay some or all of the cost of rehab. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires all long-term health insurance plans to cover 10 essential health benefits, which include both mental health and substance use treatment.1, fifth bullet
However, Blue Shield California healthcare plans vary in how much coverage they offer for substance use treatment. It’s important to verify your insurance details before you commit to a treatment program. You can do this by calling the number on the back of your insurance card or by reaching out to American Addiction Centers (AAC) online or by phone. We can review your insurance in just a few minutes and help you connect to the resources you need.
What is Blue Shield of California?
Blue Shield of California is part of the network of 34 Blue Cross Blue Shield companies that offer high-quality healthcare coverage across the nation.2, first paragraph In all, the Blue Cross Blue Shield network covers one in three Americans across all 50 states, D.C., and Puerto Rico.2, first paragraph
Blue Shield of California is a nonprofit health plan focused on giving Californians access to excellent medical care at an affordable price.3, first paragraph The company aims to build healthcare solutions, offer more personalized care, and address inequities in the healthcare system in order to help Californians get the care they need.3, health reimagined
Blue Shield coverage California is available in the form of individual and family plans, Medicaid options (MediCal), and Medicare Advantage plans.4, first navigation boxes Whatever you need, you can find high-quality care using your Blue Shield plan.
What does Blue Shield of California Insurance cover in addiction treatment?
Every person’s substance use treatment plan is different because we all have unique needs. You’ll work closely with your doctor to determine what type of treatment is best for you. Your doctor will ask about what substances you use, how often and for how long, your home environment, and more.
Some of the most common treatment options include:5,6
- Inpatient rehab. During inpatient treatment, you live at the treatment center full-time and receive around-the-clock care, which allows you to focus completely on getting well. The therapists at rehab are trained to identify the root issue and develop a customized treatment plan that addresses the unique needs of each individual. Treatment includes counseling, educational programs, and medication management (if required).
- Outpatient rehab. Outpatient treatment allows you to get help for your addiction while still being able to live at home and maintain your normal routine. Outpatient care is a few hours a week of therapy, counseling, or activities, and sessions typically focus on substance abuse education, relapse prevention, stress management, communication skills, and goal setting. This type of treatment can be a great starting point for treatment or a follow-up after you graduate from inpatient treatment.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP). IOPs offer a structured program that follows a schedule and routine, which can be helpful as you build new habits for a healthier life. The program helps you build the skills you need to live life without substance use and might also cover trauma, emotional regulation, self-discovery, and more. You attend treatment several hours a week but not full-time.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). A partial hospitalization program is a hospital-based form of outpatient drug rehabilitation that offers intensive, high-level care without having to live at the facility. Treatment includes individual and group therapy that helps you address stress and triggers without turning to substance use. You can then put these treatment skills to use at home in the evenings and on weekends.
No matter what type of treatment program your doctor creates for you, the key is to follow it through to the end. No treatment is effective if you quit halfway through, even if you’re feeling better. You need time to practice new habits if you want to have the best chance at long-term recovery. Stick with treatment through the entire process—you’ll be glad you did.
Does Blue Shield of California Cover Mental Health & Co-Occurring Disorder Treatment?
There’s a lot of stigma surrounding mental health problems, but the truth is that they are fairly common. Research shows that 50% of those who struggle with substance use also have a mental health diagnosis, which is called a co-occurring condition.7, second paragraph What’s important is that you get treatment for both your mental health and substance use at the same time. Integrated treatment has been shown to be far more effective than treating only one issue or the other.8, first paragraph
Is there Blue Shield California mental health coverage that you can use to get treatment for a co-occurring disorder? There is because the ACA includes both mental health and substance use treatment as essential health benefits.1, fifth bullet The level of Blue Shield California rehab coverage may vary depending on your specific plan, so be sure you verify your coverage before you commit to a treatment option.
You can call the insurance company directly or reach out to AAC any time, 24/7. Our admissions navigators can review your coverage in just a few minutes while they chat with you, and answer any questions you have about rehab. You can reach us by phone, online chat, or by filling out the form below.
Does Blue Shield of California Cover addiction treatment therapy?
What types of treatment therapy are covered by Blue Shield California addiction treatment coverage? Insurance plans want to give you the best chance of long-term recovery, so they focus on covering high-quality treatment centers that offer evidence-based treatment, which has been shown to make a difference.
Some common evidence-based therapies include:9
- 12-Step programs.
- Theraputic residential communities.
- Brief interventions (BI).
- Motivational interviewing (MI).
- Relapse prevention (RP).
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
- Contingency management (CM).
If the treatment center offers experimental or unproven therapies, it may not be covered by your insurance plan. It’s important to get proven care that will help you break free from substance use, and that’s what your insurance plan will focus on covering for you.
How Long Does Blue Shield of California Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab programs?
How long is rehab? We hear that question a lot, and there’s no answer that applies to everyone. However, research shows that most people need at least 90 days to make a significant change in their substance use, including quitting.10, fifth point That’s why many treatment programs are at least three months long.
Your specific plan may be longer, depending on your needs and your doctor’s recommendations. What’s important is not the length but that you follow the treatment plan through until you’ve completely finished it. That will give you the best chance of creating a happy, healthy life.
If you’re concerned about limits or requirements on your Blue Shield rehab coverage, be sure to get the details of your insurance plan before you start treatment. You can call the insurance company directly or connect with AAC 24/7 by phone, online chat, or by filling out the form on this page. We can help you understand your treatment options in just a few minutes.
What if my Blue Shield of California policy does not cover an Inpatient drug rehab program?
When you look at treatment options, you may find that Blue Shield California Insurance drug treatment coverage only pays part of the cost of a rehab program, and you have to cover the rest yourself. Or you might find a treatment program you’re excited about, but it’s not a covered Blue Shield California substance abuse treatment facility, so you have to pay the full cost yourself.
You don’t need to panic or put off treatment. There are many ways to pay for rehab, and your insurance plan is only part of the solution. For example, you might be able to set up a payment plan for your portion of the cost or borrow money from family and friends.
Some treatment programs offer scholarships, and others have a sliding scale of fees depending on your financial situation. One thing is certain: once you’ve finished treatment and are free of substance use, you’ll be far better able to be focused, productive, and manage your financial obligations.
Don’t let your finances hold you back from getting the treatment you need. Substance use has long-term legal and health consequences, and you need to break free before it’s too late. There’s never a perfect time to go to rehab. Get the care you need today.
Blue Shield California In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
As you look at treatment programs, you’ll notice that some are listed as “in-network” for your Blue Shield coverage while others are “out-of-network.” What does that mean?
Insurance plans have a group of doctors and facilities that agree to offer care to plan members at a lower rate.11, p. 1 What’s a Provider Network This group is known as the plan’s network, and you can pay less out-of-pocket for care when you use these providers.11, p. 1 What’s a Provider Network However, there may be little or no Blue Shield California out-of-network coverage for providers who are not part of that group, which means you’d have to pay the full cost if you choose those facilities.11, p. 2, Why do some plans…
To keep your treatment as affordable as possible, focus on finding Blue Shield Inpatient drug rehab centers in California. If that’s not possible, though, don’t panic—as we mentioned, there are many ways to pay for treatment. What’s important is that you get the care you need right away.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How Can I Check My Blue Shield Coverage for Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers in California?
To maximize your insurance coverage and keep your personal costs low, review your insurance plan details so that you can find treatment programs that are covered by Blue Shield California Insurance rehab coverage.
You can call Blue Shield directly, or you can reach out to AAC any time of day or night. You can reach us using online chat, by phone, or by filling out the form below. AAC is proud to run a variety of high-quality treatment centers, including the Laguna Treatment Hospital in Orange County, CA. Laguna is a safe, supportive environment where you can work on your recovery and build a new life.
You deserve a happy, healthy life without substance use so that you can pursue your dreams. We want to help you reach that goal. Contact us to take the first step toward freedom today.