Does Sierra Health Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
One of the main reasons people opt not to seek recovery for their alcohol and drug addictions is the cost of treatment. But, contrary to popular belief, many insurers do provide coverage for addiction treatment. Of course, not every treatment center across the nation accepts the same insurance, and some may not provide coverage for Sierra Health policyholders.
Sierra Health is one popular insurer that provides coverage options for addiction treatment. Sierra Health offers different healthcare plans that help cover the cost of rehab, including medical detox, residential inpatient treatment, outpatient treatment, and partial hospitalization programs (PHPs).
If you’re considering seeking treatment for alcohol and/or drug addiction, a good first step is contacting rehab centers near you and asking if they are in-network for Sierra Health. You can also call the number on the back of your insurance card for more information on your specific plan and to find out more about Sierra Health drug treatment providers.
What will Sierra Health cover?
Sierra Health substance abuse treatment coverage is provided via Behavioral HealthCare Options or BHO.1 under the second H2 According to Sierra Health, BHO provides mental health and substance abuse services to help its members maintain balanced and healthy lives.
Some of the services covered by Sierra Health’s BHO coverage include:
- Inpatient services: During inpatient treatment, you will receive around-the-clock supervision, care, and treatment at a rehab facility. 2 first sentence.
- Outpatient services: Outpatient treatment allows patients to continue meeting their personal, work, and school obligations while receiving additional treatment in their “off time” after school or work or on the weekends. 3 first paragraph
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): In an IOP, you still live at home, but you receive a more intense outpatient treatment, including treatment several days per week for several hours per day. 4 first paragraph
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): During PHP treatment, the patient stays at the treatment facility for fewer than 24 hours at a time while keeping full access to hospital personnel, such as doctors and therapists. This provides a safe environment for detoxing while allowing the patient to return home each night. 5end of second paragraph
Does Sierra Health Cover Mental Health Care Treatment Facilities?
People who suffer from substance use disorders are at risk of developing one or more co-existing conditions—whether it’s an addiction to another substance or a mental health condition. When a mental illness exists alongside a substance use disorder, it’s known as a co-occurring disorder. 6 second sentence
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), about 9.2 million American adults suffer from a co-occurring disorder.7 second paragraph
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), insurers are required to provide coverage for mental health care and treatment.8 second sentence.This means that Sierra Health drug treatment does cover mental health care in addition to addiction treatment.
How Long Does Sierra Health Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab programs?
Research has found that the longer a rehab stay, the more effective it is and the lower the chance of relapse.9 first line of results. This is because the longer a patient stays in rehab, the more exposure they get to therapy and services to help them make a full recovery while learning healthy coping skills they can take with them when they reintegrate into the “real world.” For best results, patients should aim to be in treatment for at least 90 days.
Because there are many different types of policies and tiers of coverage, the length of time covered by each insurance provider will depend upon each person’s specific plan. To find out the specifics of what your plan will cover and for how long, call the number on the back of your insurance card.
What if my Sierra Health policy does not cover inpatient alcohol and drug rehab programs?
If you have found a drug treatment center that meets your needs and that you feel really hopeful about but is not covered by Sierra Health insurance, you’re not completely out of luck. There are options for paying for treatment that don’t involve insurance, including:
- Financing: Many drug treatment centers will work with you on financing plans that fit your unique budget needs. This prevents you from having to pay the entire cost of rehab upfront and, instead, make smaller monthly payments based on your income and need. Some facilities also provide income-based enrollment that makes it possible for you to afford the treatment you need.
- Scholarships and grants: Scholarships and grants are an excellent way to help you with the cost of rehab. Some rehab facilities provide their own scholarships. There are also corporations and nonprofits that sponsor scholarships for rehab.
- State-funded facilities: State-funded rehab facilities offer rehab services at no cost to the patient.
Getting treatment right now and taking advantage of these resources is critical instead of putting treatment off because you think you can’t afford it right now.
Sierra Health In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
When a treatment center is in-network, it means the treatment center and insurer have an agreement to offer discounted rates to members with specific insurance plans. However, going to a facility that is out of network will cost more because all of the services may not be covered.
The differences in cost between in-network and out-of-network providers vary. For example, one insurance company that’s in-network may cover 100% of services rendered, while another in-network provider may only cover 70%. Some insurers will cover a portion of out-of-network services, while others will not cover any.
To check whether a certain facility is in or out of network, contact the facility directly or call the number on the back of your insurance card.
How to find Sierra Health Covered alcohol and drug rehab program centers?
Finding Sierra Health drug detox treatment nationwide can help you with the cost of drug and/or alcohol treatment. The first step is finding a treatment program that interests you and then checking to verify insurance. At AAC, we can help you verify your insurance to see if it is in-network with us. Contact our helpline at to speak with one of our insurance specialists who can check your benefits on the phone to help you determine the next best steps.
Desert Hope is one of the best treatment centers in the nation; it is located in Las Vegas, Nevada, and provides high-quality care you can trust. From medically-assisted detoxification to sober living, a comprehensive recovery plan starts with Desert Hope. Desert Hope’s wide range of offerings also includes men’s programs and couple’s programs to ensure you can find a rehab program that meets your unique needs.
What should I do if Sierra Health won’t cover the total cost of rehab?
If Sierra Health doesn’t cover the total cost of rehab, there are other options to help you pay for the services, including scholarships, grants, and payment plans. Contacting the rehab center early on in the process is critical to ensure you can come up with payment options and/or payment plans that work with you, so you are able to access the addiction treatment you need.
Do Rehab Centers Have to be In-Network to Accept Sierra Health?
Under Sierra Health’s PPO plan, you can receive addiction treatment that is in- or out-of-network. Of course, you’ll pay higher deductibles for treatment that is out-of-network. If you have an EPO plan with Sierra Health, you have to use an in-network rehab center.