Finding Best Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers Near Me
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
Estimates show that over 23 million American citizens suffer from alcohol and/or drug addiction. Only a quarter of these receive treatment, while more than 150,000 die each year. These numbers attest to the significant harm experienced by addiction sufferers, their loved ones, and society as a whole. Once someone is suffering from severe substance use disorder (SUD), seeking the best rehab centers may be the only way out.1,2
Even though there are rehab facilities all across the country, only some of them are home to the most reputable treatment centers. Newsweek’s annual ranking lists 330 rehab centers, located in 25 U.S. states. The majority of these centers (80+ centers) are located in California. Well-represented with over 20 rehab facilities are also available in New York, Pennsylvania, and Florida. Other states where top-rated rehab centers are stationed include Texas, Michigan, Washington, North Carolina, and Massachusetts, among others.2
What Are the Levels of Care Offered by Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers?
Depending on the severity of their addiction, people may need treatments with varying levels of care. Whereas more serious cases will almost certainly require much more intensive types of treatment, milder cases may do well with only minor interventions. Some of the services that can be received at the best rehab centers include:3
- Residential Treatment. This type of treatment is recommended for the most severe cases. It includes continuous medical care and monitoring conducted in a hospital setting. Residential treatment may last anywhere between several weeks and several months.
- Detox Services and Medical Detox. These types of interventions usually last for several days, with the main goal of clearing a patient’s body of toxic substances. Best detox centers commonly employ medications specifically designed to address drug and/or alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
- Outpatient Services. Patients who are willing to maintain as much of their normal life as possible are advised to take part in outpatient activities. These may involve counseling or therapy sessions that take place at the time agreed upon in advance.
- Behavioral Therapies. Sometimes, addressing the patient’s behavior may be the best way to correct their negative thoughts and emotions. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Motivational Interviewing (MI) are particularly well-suited for this purpose.
- Aftercare. Participating in aftercare activities is another way to tackle addiction-related risks. Recovering addiction sufferers are the ones who can benefit from such activities the most, since these are intended to prevent relapse after successful treatment completion.
- Sober Houses. A type of aftercare activity, sober living houses are places where recovering addiction sufferers live together, at the same time monitoring each other so that any unwanted relapse events can be prevented.
- Relapse Prevention Tools. Top-rated treatment centers also offer a variety of techniques that will help recovering patients spot signs of relapse as early as possible. Acting promptly is vital in order to decrease a staggering 40-60 percent relapse rate.
Amenities Offered at a Top-Rated Rehab Center
Best rehab centers in the U.S. also offer a variety of amenities that could make the patient’s stay at the center much easier. These features are what make high-level facilities stand out from their competitors:3
- Private rooms, swimming pools, etc. Not having to share rooms with other patients may be crucial in motivating some addiction sufferers to come to the rehab center. If they also have a swimming pool or similar amenities at their disposal, their arrival may be even more likely.
- Mindfulness meditation and Yoga. These techniques may offer a crucial supplementation to conventional methods. Having their origin in Eastern traditions, these practices instruct people to focus on their inner self and the present moment, which can be helpful for people who are struggling with SUD.
- Nutritional support. Many top-rated treatment centers also offer nutritional plans that are tailored to different patients’ needs. The role of nutrition in overall health is often neglected even though it may prove to be crucial in many cases.
- Art and Equine Therapy. Many people experienced significant psychological benefits after they took part in art creation or surrounded themselves with horses. This is why these two activities were transformed into therapy modalities that may address some of the negative symptoms of drug or alcohol addiction.
- Acupuncture and Chiropractic Care. Rehab program participants commonly suffer from physical pain. Acupuncture and chiropractic care, which are offered at many of the best drug or alcohol rehabilitation centers, can not only provide pain relief but also foster the flow of positive emotions in addiction sufferers.
What to Bring to the Best Inpatient Drugs Rehab Center?
Addiction sufferers should carefully plan their move to the inpatient rehab facility. Not to forget anything important, they are advised to make a list of items to take with them. Some of the most important items include:4
- A list of names and contact information of loved ones who patients wish to keep in touch with during the treatment course.
- Medications already prescribed by doctors. These should be placed in their original pharmacy bottles.
- The most important accessories, such as a wedding ring and watch.
- An alarm clock that will help patients to keep up with the daily schedule at the facility. Some of the best rehab centers provide their patients with alarm clocks.
- A small amount of cash (so that rehab attendees can pay for some additional services they may need during their stay).
- Debit cards, credit cards, or checkbooks, to pay for the treatment.
- A notebook or journal in order to document what happens to the patients and how they feel.
- Some reading materials, if these are not provided by the facility.
- Photos of your loved ones, to keep patients inspired to stay the course.
- Stamps or envelopes in case someone wants to send letters.
Besides these basic items, rehab attendees are also encouraged to bring clothes and hygiene items to the mental health facility. Even though highly-rated treatment centers can usually provide many of these, bringing one’s own items ensures that particular individual preferences will be satisfied.4
What Items Not to Bring to a Drug Rehab Program?
Several items are not allowed at the majority of rehab facilities, including the top-rated rehab centers. These, among others, include:4
- Drugs and alcohol
- Food and drinks
- Electronic cigarettes
- Alcohol-based beauty and hygiene products
- Previously opened or unapproved medication
- Video games
- Revealing clothes
- Sporting equipment
In addition to these, some items are permitted at some facilities and prohibited from others. Cigarettes, cameras, MP3 or CD players, razors, laptops, and cell phones are good examples of these.4
How to Choose the Best Drug or Alcohol Rehab Center?
While different patients may find different treatment centers most suitable to their purposes, some objective criteria can be universally applied. One of the most important is location. It may be much easier for a patient to decide to enroll in an inpatient treatment if the facility is located near their home. The proximity may make the addiction sufferer feel more comfortable when making such an important decision.3
Another crucial factor is the certification of rehab staff. If medical professionals conducting the treatment procedure are well-trained and licensed, a successful outcome is much more likely. Patients should also pay attention to the daily schedule at their facility of choice. This factor is highly personal, as different people may find different schedules more suitable, depending on their habits.3
Top-rate treatment centers should also possess attractive lodging arrangements. Facilities that offer high-quality living spaces along with a variety of amenities rightly receive greater attention from prospective rehab attendees.3
Whether a mental health facility hosts support groups is another factor to consider. Being surrounded by people with similar issues presents one of the most effective ways to cope with the negative effects of substance use disorder. Finally, patients should take a look at the success rates of programs they consider attending. A lot can be inferred from the experiences of people who underwent the same program before.3
AAC’s Best Rehab Centers
Over the years, we at American Addiction Centers (AAC) have collaborated with a range of different mental health facilities. Depending on their specialization, several of them stood out as top-quality ones:3
- Laguna Treatment Hospital in Orange County, California, is the best among rehab centers focused on bringing medical interventions and hospital-type services. Being licensed by the Department of Public Health in California, this facility offers expertise in withdrawal management programs, continuous nursing care, daily medical rounds, and medical administration, as well as various indoor and outdoor amenities.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, is mainly tailored to meet the needs of athletes and military veterans. Programs at this facility are specialized in treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and addiction issues related to it, which can commonly be found in people who experienced significant trauma or injury.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center in Grand Prairie, Texas, offers a variety of luxurious amenities to its attendees, which is why many patients consider it one of the best rehab centers nationwide. Different types of swimming pools, spas, gyms, massage centers, and lounge areas are the main assets that bring comfort to patients residing at this facility.
- Oxford Treatment Center in Etta, Mississippi, presents a typical wilderness and outdoor rehab. Placed on 110 acres of wooded hills and in the neighborhood of the lake, this rehabilitation center offers great opportunities for the enjoyment of nature and participation in various outdoor activities.
- Recovery First Treatment Center in Hollywood, Florida, is specifically designed for healthcare professionals who may be facing a whole host of challenges. Besides addiction problems, these may include workplace-related stress and burnout, worries about the future, stigma, as well as violence.
- River Oaks Treatment Center in Riverview, Florida, typically hosts professionals who need to return to their job after prolonged addiction issues. Lawyers, doctors, nurses, social workers, and pilots are the professionals that most commonly receive this kind of treatment.
- AdCare Hospital in Worcester, Massachusetts, is one of the best facilities customized for Medicare and Medicaid program participants. The quality of programs at this facility is not compromised by their low cost.
- Sunrise House in Lafayette, New Jersey, is specialized for LGBTQ+ people dealing with addiction and other issues that may be unique to this population.
Many top-rated rehab centers offer specialized programs to other demographic groups. For example, some programs may be focused on couples and others may predominantly deal with issues experienced by men.5,6
How to Find the Best Substance Abuse Treatment Centers Near Me?
Prospective rehab attendees may search for their treatment options in several ways. One way is to consider visiting the FindGovernment.gov website. Run by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), this platform offers information on a range of rehab facilities all across the country. It also provides its visitors with information on treatment costs, as well as addiction and mental health issues in general.7
Addiction patients can also consider using platforms developed by American Addiction Centers (AAC). Our fully anonymous helpline is readily available all over the day. Our navigators are more than prepared to provide prospective rehab program participants with a comparison of different treatment modalities and strategies on how to pay for treatment, among other information. We also possess an online search tool where patients can check whether their insurance schemes cover their treatment of choice.
Frequently Asked Questions