Does Anthem BlueCross California covers Alcohol and Drug rehab centers in California?
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
The rise in addiction continues to affect people and families across the nation. As one of the largest U.S. states, California residents have grappled with high rates of substance use disorder and overdose. From 2017 to 2019, nearly 3 million California residents struggled with substance use disorder.1 p.5 Substance use disorders prevalence In 2020, almost 9,000 Californians died from drug overdose deaths.2 Drug Overdose Mortality by State Still, only about 10% of people struggling with addiction receive professional treatment.1 Intro
Deciding to seek addiction treatment can feel overwhelming at first. You may be overcome with guilt or shame and worried about how you’ll pay for rehab. Just know you’re making the right decision to get help, and you don’t have to do it alone. If you’re an Anthem Blue Cross California member, you can receive partial or full coverage for treatment, depending on your specific policy. There are also other options for financial assistance if you don’t have insurance.
Anthem BCBS of California is dedicated to providing affordable treatment options for those struggling with addiction by offering access to hundreds of in-network rehab centers. If you want to learn more about what your specific plan covers, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card for more information.
You can also reach out directly to a rehab you’re interested in and provide them with information to check your coverage for you. American Addiction Centers (AAC) also offer assistance with verifying insurance. Contact us by phone or online chat, or fill out our SSVOB form for more information.
What is Anthem BlueCross of California?
Anthem Blue Cross of California is the largest health insurance provider in the state and is dedicated to providing its members the highest level of care and value.3 about Anthem As an independent member of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Anthem BCBS of California offers a wide range of affordable healthcare options for its 8.6 million members.4 Intro
Anthem BCBS continues to expand its coverage range, making easy-to-understand policies available at different price levels for individuals and families. There are currently over 65,000 care providers in its broad provider network and thousands of rehabs that accept Anthem BCBS of California.4 Network
What does Anthem BlueCross California Insurance cover in addiction treatment?
Depending on your Anthem BlueCross coverage in California, some, if not all, of the cost for substance abuse treatments like medical detox, inpatient and outpatient programs, and addiction aftercare will be covered. Since the journey to recovery is different for everyone, many facilities offer individualized and specialized programs to best fit your unique needs. Your Anthem BCBS policy will likely cover at least some of the costs for:5 What types of treatments are available?
- Inpatient and residential rehab: If you’re looking for a supportive, safe space to live during recovery, you can take a break from the stress and distractions of everyday responsibilities in inpatient rehab. These programs offer 24/7 support and help you develop coping skills to handle your addiction triggers in a healthy way. Inpatient programs usually last anywhere from 30 to 90 days, but some patients seek longer treatment times for 6 months to 1 year.
- Outpatient rehab and therapy: With outpatient rehab, you receive similar treatment services to inpatient rehabs while living at home. Outpatient rehab is a great option if you still want to tend to your daily responsibilities, like work and family, while seeking treatment. You can visit a treatment facility as often as you’d like and have opportunities to build new skills through therapy and peer support, setting you up for long-term recovery.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): IOPs are more rigorous outpatient programs that require you to visit your treatment center multiple times a week based on your schedule. Similar to outpatient programs, you can remain living at home while attending an IOP.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): PHPs or day programs allow you to live at home while seeking treatment and are similar in intensity to inpatient rehab. You must visit a treatment facility at least 5 days a week for about 5 hours a day.
Does Anthem BlueCross of California Cover Mental Health & Co-Occurring Disorder Treatment?
Since mental health care is an essential benefit, the Affordable Care Act requires insurance providers to cover at least some of the costs of mental health care and treatment.6 Stand-alone drug rehab and conditions such as co-occurring disorders fall under this mandate. When a person struggles with substance use disorder along with a mental illness, like anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), it’s referred to as a co-occurring disorder or “dual diagnosis.”7 Intro
Almost half of the 21 million people struggling with substance use also have a mental illness.7 Intro It’s not clear whether one illness causes the other, as this differs from person to person. Self-medicating or using substances to alleviate mental health symptoms can result in addiction over time. People can also develop substance use disorder from the excessive, prolonged use of drugs or alcohol.7 does one cause the other
Either way, mental health professionals agree that co-occurring disorders should be treated simultaneously to prevent relapse and promote long-term recovery.8 points to remember Your Anthem insurance policy will always cover some, if not all, of the costs for mental health and co-occurring disorder treatment.
How Long Does Anthem BlueCross of California Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab programs?
Everyone is different, and no one treatment will work for all, but mental health professionals agree that longer treatment times are the most effective in preventing relapse.8 points to remember The more time you can spend focusing on your recovery and building coping skills, the better you’ll be able to handle difficult situations after recovery, reducing your likelihood of relapse.8 points to remember Addiction aftercare treatment is also recommended for at least 1 year after recovery, with many remaining in aftercare for a lifetime.8 points to remember
The length of time your Anthem BCBS insurance will cover your treatment will depend on your specific plan. Since there are so many different tiers of coverage and types of policies, it’s best to reach out to your insurance company for more information. You can call the number on the back of your insurance card or reach out to AAC for assistance in verifying your insurance.
What if my Anthem BlueCross of California policy does not cover an Inpatient drug rehab program?
You may decide on a drug rehab program that isn’t covered under your Anthem insurance policy. If this is the case, there may still be options for financial assistance. Many federal, state, and local organizations provide grants, scholarships, and other financial assistance to those seeking addiction treatment. Possible options to finance your recovery journey include:
- The Affordable Care Act (ACA): People with low or no income can apply for addiction treatment coverage through the Affordable Care Act.6
- Government-funded programs: Block grants for high-risk and at-risk populations provided by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) offer financial assistance to anyone struggling with addiction. IV drug users and mothers or expecting mothers are highly encouraged to apply.9 What is a Block Grant?
- State-funded rehabs and local assistance: Many state and local institutions provide scholarships to partially or fully cover the costs of medical detox and addiction treatment programs.
- S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA): The VA offers financial assistance to veterans struggling with addiction through different services, like medical detox, outpatient therapy, and mental health treatment.10 What services does VA provide for Veterans with substance use problems?
- Loans and financing: Banks offer personal loans that can assist you in financing your recovery.
Getting the treatment you need as soon as possible is critical to your health and sobriety. Instead of putting it off for another day, learn about more ways to finance your recovery.
Anthem BlueCross California In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
In-network providers are doctors and hospitals contracted through your Anthem BCBS of California insurance to provide healthcare services. Choosing a healthcare provider in your network is the only way to guarantee that at least some portion of the costs of your treatment will be covered under your insurance plan. You may still have to pay other fees like co-pays or deductibles. If you choose a provider outside your network, you’ll likely have to pay all costs out of pocket.
To check whether a provider is in your network, call the number on the back of your insurance card or reach out to AAC for assistance.
How Can I Check My Anthem BlueCross Coverage for Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers in California?
If you want to know more about your specific plan, AAC can verify your insurance coverage for you. Contact our helpline to speak with a representative who can check your benefits right while you’re on the phone or chat online with an agent for more information. Thousands of people receive financial assistance for rehab through Anthem BCBS of California every year.
AAC is home to some of the leading treatment facilities in the nation. Our top-notch California facility, Laguna Treatment Center, offers an upscale treatment experience and high-quality addiction treatment plans offering services like inpatient residential treatment, addiction-focused healthcare, medical detox, and addiction aftercare. Located in Laguna Beach, this facility provides impressive accommodations and expert medical care while supporting guests through individualized services.
Rehabs That Take Anthem Blue Cross California Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.