Does BCBS of Michigan insurance cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
In 2019, just over 77,000 people sought substance abuse treatment in a rehab facility in Michigan.1(p308) If you are among those in Michigan with a drug or alcohol misuse issue, you can use your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan insurance to access treatment.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan drug treatment is available to those who have a plan.2(top) The specifics of your BCBS of Michigan alcohol and drug coverage will depend on the exact plan and policy you have.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of MI offers several different individual and family plans as follows. Some of these plans are available in all 83 Michigan counties, while others are only available in some of the Michigan counties:3(top)
- Blue Cross Preferred HMO Silver
- Blue Cross Preferred HMO Silver Extra
- Blue Cross Preferred HMO Silver Off Marketplace
These plans are available statewide:
- Blue Cross Preferred HMO Bronze Saver HSA
- Blue Cross Preferred HMO Bronze
- Blue Cross Preferred HMO Silver Saver
- Blue Cross Preferred HMO Gold
You can call the rehab facility you plan to go to and find out whether your BCBS Michigan insurance is in network. They can verify your insurance right away while you wait on the phone, making it convenient for you to get started with your recovery right away.
How to find BCBS Of Michigan covered Inpatient drug treatment centers in MI?
To facilitate drug or alcohol treatment, you can contact American Addiction Centers (AAC), a leading addiction care provider. An admissions navigator will take your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan insurance information and give you an immediate answer about whether it is in network with the facility.
AAC also offers other channels that you can use to communicate with an admissions navigator. These include:
- Communicating on the telephone.
- Using the online chat function.
- Filling out the form on this page with your insurance information.
When you call the BCBS of Michigan helpline, you can speak to someone about your benefits. They will also be able to help you locate Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan insurance rehab centers near you.
What is BCBS Of Michigan?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan started in 1975 with the purchase of some small health plans in east and mid-Michigan.4 With time, these plans became 4 independent regional health maintenance organizations.4
Now, they are the largest health insurer in Michigan, with 4.5 million members in the state.5 They also service 1.6 million in other states.5 Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan provides a large network of providers, including 152 hospitals and over 33,000 doctors.
How Much Does BCBS Of Michigan Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
Drug and alcohol treatment centers in Michigan have various levels of treatment for those with a substance use disorder. The amount of coverage you will have from your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan insurance rehab plan depends on the specific policy tier and other factors.
One factor that could affect your coverage is the amount of time you’ll need to spend in a treatment facility. The degree of care you receive may be a determining factor as well. For example, there is a more intensive level of care for inpatient treatment than there is for outpatient treatment. Outlined below are some of the treatment programs that should be covered (at least in part) by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan benefits:
- Inpatient treatment program: An inpatient program is a great place to start the rehab journey after detoxification. This type of program provides you with 24/7 supervision and monitoring. During the treatment regimen, you will explore more about the social and emotional roots of addiction. Therapists implement therapy to help you get to the core of how addiction has affected you. During an inpatient program, you will stay in the rehab facility overnight for several weeks or months. 6(inpatient)
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): During PHP, you will participate in an intense level of treatment care. It’s similar to an inpatient program with a supervised environment that lasts for several hours a day for several days a week.7(pg.10)
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): An IOP is technically an outpatient program. However, it is a more rigorous treatment than a standard outpatient program. Therapy and programs are conducted for a good portion of the day.6(outpatient)
- Outpatient treatment program and therapy: An outpatient treatment program consists of evidence-based therapy that is conducted about once a week.6(outpatient)
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan provides coverage for mental health facilities?
Many people struggle with co-occurring disorders, which is substance use and mental health disorder at the same time.8 These 2 conditions commonly co-occur with people who have 1 or the other condition.8 Blue Cross Blue Shield residential treatment is a way to combine care for both conditions. If you have a co-occurring disorder, it’s recommended that you treat both conditions together.8
You may wonder if you will have coverage for both treatment programs. Due to federal mandates in the Affordable Care Act (ACA), insurers must provide members with essential healthcare.9 Under the essential healthcare guidelines is the treatment for substance use and mental health disorders.9
As you begin the admissions process for inpatient rehab in Michigan, you can ask the BCBS of Michigan rehab center whether they offer a co-occurring disorder treatment program. Participating in this type of specialized treatment program will ensure that you receive the best care possible and help minimize the risk of relapse.8
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan cover addiction treatment therapies?
When entering one of the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan insurance drug treatment programs, evidence-based therapy is a vital part of the program. During therapy, you and a therapist will be able to explore issues surrounding addiction, coping methods, triggers, and relapse prevention.
Some of the commonly used therapies are listed below:10
- 12-Step program
- Family therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Motivational enhancement therapy
- Contingency management interventions
- Community reinforcements
- The Matrix Model program
How Long Does BCBS Of Michigan Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab programs?
Your time in a Blue Cross Blue Shield addiction treatment center may vary depending on what your specific issues and needs are. The length of your Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan coverage will vary too. There are different insurance policy tiers that will determine the level of time that will be covered by your Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan mental health plan.
Before getting too concerned about how long your insurance will cover, it’s important to first consider what length of time you will need to be in one of the drug detox centers in Michigan. According to professionals who have worked with substance use disorders, you should stay in inpatient rehab for at least 3 months for best results.11
You can take time to check the plan information on the back of your insurance card for further policy details.
What if my BCBS Of Michigan policy does not cover an Inpatient drug rehab program?
In some situations, you may not have adequate coverage for the amount of time you need for an inpatient rehab facility. If this happens to you, don’t give up hope. You can contact any of the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan drug treatment providers near you to find out what other financial options they offer. Many Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan drug detox treatment centers provide ways for people without coverage to still participate in rehab. Some of the offerings that may be available include:
- Financial aid.
- Reduced sliding scale payment.
- Financial payment plan.
BCBS Of Michigan In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
When seeking treatment, it’s helpful to check for rehab facilities in Michigan that are in network with your insurance provider. The BCBS of Michigan treatment centers that accept your insurance is referred to as participating providers or in-network providers. If you go to a rehab center that doesn’t take your plan, it will be considered out of network. The main difference between an in-network and an out-of-network provider is the overall cost. You will have to pay additional costs if the provider is out of network.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How to Verify BCBS of Michigan Insurance Coverage of drug rehab centers?
You can begin the recovery process by contacting American Addiction Centers (AAC). An admissions navigator will help you connect with some of the BCBS of Michigan rehabilitation centers in your area or verify your insurance for a particular rehab if you have one in mind. Get in touch with someone today.